Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Review: Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Description: When Coraline explores her new home, she steps through a door and into another house just like her own . . . except that it's different. It's a marvelous adventure until Coraline discovers that there's also another mother and another father in the house. They want Coraline to stay with them and be their little girl. They want to keep her forever!

Coraline must use all of her wits and every ounce of courage in order to save herself and return home

Review: I have to admit that I read Coraline because the movie came out and I wanted to read the book before I saw the movie. Since it was a children's book, I didn't think it would like it is. I like reading children's books, and usually they don't scare me like from R.L. Stine or Christopher Pike. This story was diffrent.

It had so much detail. It read like a children's book, with simple words and everything, but I could feel the sense from it. It was a fully developed story. It did scare me, a little bit. I finished it in the middle of the night, so I had to turn off the night to go to bed. Actually, I was reluctant to turn them off because the book felt so real. I feel like Coraline was telling the story about herself, and not a narrater.

Gaiman did a very good job on the telling of this story. I would recommend this to anybody skeptical that children's books are just that, children's books. This book is for all ages, whether you are starting to read, or about to stop. But be careful letting the little ones read the book. It might scare them a little too much and give them nightmares.

*Maybe Spoilers*My favorite scene in this book was...actually I had two. One them was when Caroline went exploring in the "Other Mother's world" and walked into whiteness, and then ended right back at the house. It just seemed so surreal. The other one was at the end when the hand went after the key and Coraline set up the perfect trap.*Maybe Spoilers Over*

I would give it 4 coins.
5=best
1=worst

6 comments:

Marie said...

I love neil gaiman AND I gave your blog and award:
http://cupcakewitch.blogspot.com/2009/03/my-tuesday.html

susan said...

I love Neil Gaiman books. He writes the best children's books for adults. lol

Loved Coraline. The movie was beautiful but the book reads better.

By the way, Marie sent me. Glad she did.

Maggie said...

I've nominated you for the I Love Your Blog Award! Head to http://musingsofafledglingwriter.blogspot.com to receive your award

Donna (Bites) said...

The Count says you have one award waiting for you at Bites. Ha ha ha!

Donna (Bites) said...

I'm twitching to buy this book myself. It looks so promising!

Sadako said...

Have never read Gaiman, but this sounds awesome. I'm going to see if i can get it from my 'brary.