Thursday, March 5, 2009

Thinkin' About Thursday: Wintergirls

This is similar to Waiting On Wednesday except that the books are necessarily not published at the moment. Some may be from a few years back and maybe even a rumored book every once in a while...

So this week's book that is for Thinkin' About Thursday is:

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

“Dead girl walking,” the boys say in the halls.
“Tell us your secret,” the girls whisper, one toilet to another.
I am that girl.
I am the space between my thighs, daylight shining through.
I am the bones they want, wired on a porcelain frame.
Lia and Cassie are best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies, competitors in a deadly contest to see who can be the skinniest. But what comes after size zero and size double-zero? When Cassie succumbs to the demons within, Lia feels she is being haunted by her friend’s restless spirit.

I loved Speak and the issue that it dealt with, so I figured that Wintergirls would be just as good. I have had to deal with that so many of the problems that Anderson writes about. I like how her stories make you relate to the characters. I can't wait till it comes out!

1 comment:

Marie said...

I read this one... it is super good!
You should stalk the Internet for a contest to try to win it!
:)