Thursday, March 12, 2009

Review: Naomi & Ely's No Kiss List by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Summary:
Naomi <3 Ely.
And she's kinda in love with him.
Ely <3 Naomi.
But he prefers to be in love with boys.

Naomi and Ely have been inseparable since childhood--partially because they've grown up across the hall from each other in the same Manhattan apartment building, and also because they're best friends. Soul mates. Or are they? Just to be safe, they've created a NO KISS LIST--their list o people who are absolutely off-kissing-limits for both of them. The NO KISS LIST protects their friendship and ensures that nothing will rock the foundation of Naomi and Ely: the institution.
Until Ely kisses Naomi's boyfriend. and a fateful piece of gum in the wrong place at the wrong time changes everything.
Soon a rift of universal proportions threatens to destroy their friendship, and it remains to be seen whether Naomi and Ely can find their way toward new soul-mate prospects...and back to one another. (from back of paperback)

Review: I have to admit, when I first picked up this book, I thought it was a just another middle grade book about "backstabbing friends", but I found it later on a GLBT book list and changed my mind. I am glad I later went back and got this book. I do not regret it.

The book is told similar to Nick and Norah's Infiinite Playlist where it has alternating chapter views. There was even one chapter where it alternated within that chapter! It was kind of confusing sometimes because I did a little lost as to I am reading the point of view from. I liked how Naomi used pictures instead of words all the time.

This book reads like a diary. It even has a playlist from the night doorman. I think because Naomi has the hots for Ely, she doesn't want anyone else, which I think why Ely kissed her boyfriend, Bruce the Second. Ely didn't want him to passed on as another Naomi trash.

It is a real growing up for these two NYU freshman. They have to grow apart in order to them to grow by themselves. It is wonderfully written and Rachel Cohn and David Levithan have written yet another book that teenagers will like. This one has less profanity than Nick and Norah, but defintely more "gayness" (please excuse the politically incorrectness there). But it truly is many loves stories within one love story. Between Ely and Bruce. Between Naomi and Gabriel. Between Robin and Robin. Between Naomi and Ely. But most of all between each character and themselves.

I would recommend this book for fans of Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist and also for fans who want to read a love story with all the mushyness and sex scence.

I would give this book 5 coins.
5 = best
1 = worst

No comments: